The art of serving an authentic moroccan mint tea relies not only on its preparation but presentation is of great importance. Serving is usually done on a moroccan teapot accompanied by colorful moroccan tea glasses. Serving the tea itself the moroccan traditional way is done by bringing the teapot a bit higher as you are pouring the tea in a to form a beautiful foam on your moroccan tea glass.
To get the best authentic Moroccan Mint Tea, you will need:
- 1 tablespoon loose Chinese gunpowder green tea
- 1 liter of hot water
- 3 to 4 tablespoons sugar, preferably brown or cane sugar
- 1 large bunch of fresh mint
- Orange blossom dried flowers or dried jasmine petals (optional)
The steps :
- Boil the water in your regular kettle (stovetop or electric)
- Add the loose tea to your moroccan teapot
- Verse ¼ of a cup boiling water to rinse the tea and keep it in a cup for later use
- Verse for a second time about 3-4 tablesppons of boiling water. Rinse the tea and discard this time
- Add sugar to the teapot and fill it with boiling water and the water you kept from the first rinse.
Finally, Add the fresh mint to the moroccan teapot and your choice of dried orange blossom petals or jasmine petal depending on the season. You can also add fresh mint leaves to the moroccan tea glasses to enhance the flavor.
Moroccan mint tea is usually served hot accompanied by moroccan sweets and pastries. For those who prefer cold drinks, just let it cool and keep it in the refrigerator to drink iced !