The Best Moroccan Eggplant recipe, Za’aluq
This flavorful moroccan food can be served as a salad or as a side dish. For a different version and flavor, add preserved lemon and lemon juice.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 lb Eggplants
- 4 garlic cloves
- 8 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped Cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon diced preserved lemon and juice of 1/2 lemon (optional)
- Peel the eggplants lengthwise, leaving stripes on and off. Cut them into small 1/2 inch cubes
- Steam, boil or bake the eggplants for 15 min, until soft.
- In a pan, pour the olive oil, add minced garlic. Add the diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, cumin and paprika. Stir and cook for 5 min.
- When Eggplants are cooked. Drain well and add to the tomato sauce.
- Mash the eggplants with a fork while mixing to tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle over chopped cilantro
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until excess juices have evaporated .
Do you like our selection of Moroccan dishes or do you know of a better way of making it? Feel free to share below your favorite Moroccan food, dishes, recipes and pictures…