The Tagine of beef or lamb with prunes is a classic and one of the most famous and popular moroccan tagines. This sweet spicy moroccan dish will surely vow your weekend guests!
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 2-3 pounds shanks of beef or lamb
- 2 medium sized onions thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of saffron filaments
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups of water
- 2 cups dried prunes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
- 2-4 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds
- In a Tagine or dutch oven, mix the ginger, saffron, salt, and pepper together. Rub the spice mixture into the meat.
- Add the onion, olive oil and herbs to the meat and let it brown for a little bit.
- Add the water. Cover and let it cook for 40 minutes, or until the meat is tender.
- In a pan, add 1/2 cup of the sauce from the cooked meat to the dried prunes, orange blossom water, honey and cinnamon. Let it cook uncovered, until the juices evaporate and the sauce becomes concentrated. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- Transfer the meat with its sauce to a serving dish, garnish with the prunes and pour the sweet sauce over. Sprinkle evenly some almonds.
- Enjoy hot with your choice of bread, couscous or rice!
Do you like this Moroccan dish or do you know of a better way of making it? Feel free to share below your recipes and pictures as well as your favorite Moroccan food, dishes,…