Easy, quick and healthy Mussels recipe. Here it is cooked in a creamy sauce flavored with saffron, parsley, lemon juice and garlic. If you like a lot of sauce to accompany your pasta or to dip your toast in, just double the garlic, shallots, and cooking juices!
- 4 pounds fresh mussels, scrubbed and clean
- 10 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon peel
- A pinch of grated nutmeg
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 Thyme sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Ground black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 1 Baguette, sliced, garlic toast or your choice of pasta
- In a large saucepan, put the water, nutmeg, thyme, bay leaves, lemon peel, saffron strands and bring just to a boil. Add the mussels and cover with a lid. Cook for 5 minutes, until the mussels open.
- Drain the mussels. Discard unopened mussels.
- in a large tagine, heat the olive oil over moderately medium-high heat . Add the garlic and shallots and sauté, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes, until softened.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the parsley, lemon juice, cooking juices from the mussels, and cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the mussels to the tagine and heat for another 2 minutes.
- Serve with slices of baguette, pasta or garlic toast.
Do you like this Moroccan dish or do you know of a better way of making the Mussels Recipe with Garlic and saffron Creamy Sauce? Feel free to share below your recipes and pictures as well as your favorite Moroccan food, dishes,…