The Moroccan Spinach Salad or Bakoula is a healthy cooked salad that can also be served as an appetizer or side dish as well. Spinach or any other available green like kale or beet greens can go into this dish . In Morocco, Bakoula refers to the steamed Mallow leaves cooked in a spicy charmoula sauce to which is added preserved lemons and olives. These leafy green vegetables contain loads of vitamins, folate, magnesium, iron, manganese, calcium and fiber and a would be a great healthy addition to any meal.
- 1 lb chopped Spinach
- 1 cup chopped fresh herbs (cilantro and parsley)
- 4 peeled garlic cloves
- 8 tsp Olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon diced preserved lemon
- Moroccan olives to garnish
- 1 tsp Harissa (optional)
- After washing, chop up the spinach roughly, removing any tough stems.
- Steam the chopped spinach until soft
- In a saucepan, pour the olive oil, add the steamed mashed garlic. Add all the spices along with lemon juice and chopped fresh herbs to form a Charmoula Sauce.
- Drain well the steamed spinach and add to the sauce.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until excess juices have evaporated .
- Sprinkle diced preserved lemon and olives and garnish with moroccan olives
Do you like our selection of Moroccan dishes or do you know of a better way of making it? Feel free to share below your favorite Moroccan food, dishes, recipes and pictures…