Moroccan cuisine is rich in flavor and taste. The preserved ingredients like lemons, olives and carrots add a shine to the recipes with the unique mediterranean taste. The salads and side dishes play a huge role in Moroccan food.
Moroccan salads are almost served there on daily basis. People tend to grow vegetables in their own gardens. Vegetables are peeled and chopped. Then sometimes they are cooked with spices, herbs, chermoula sauce and olive oil to make salads with dips. Moroccan salads are also made by tossing the vegetables in vinaigrette.
Following the favorite special pickled carrot salad recipe made in Moroccan style. Watch the recipe in Video:
Moroccan Carrot Salad with Chermoula :
Chermoula is used for marinating. It is special ingredient of Moroccan cuisine. It is usually made by a mixture of oil, lemon juice, herbs, garlic, salt and cumin. It can include pickled ingredients like saffron, onion, fresh chili peppers and coriander.
- 1/2 kg carrots, diced or sliced.
- Olive or vegetable oil 4 tablespoons
- Fresh cilantro and lemon juice , 2 tablespoons each
- ½ teaspoon each of cumin and paprika
- Salt, to taste
- Partially crushed garlic cloves , 2
- ¼ teaspoon of hot paprika
- First of all you need to cut the carrots in slices. You can also dice them but slicing is the more traditional way of presenting carrots in Moroccan dishes.
- Now bring water to boil and add salt in it. Boil till the carrots are softened for 15-20 minutes.
- Now drain the water and replace it with cold water to prevent further cooking. Repeat.
- Now in a medium sized pot, pour olive oil. Sauté the garlic cloves gently for 2-3 minutes over low heat.
- Take out the garlic and add the spices, cilantro and lemon juice. Sauté it for further two minutes over low heat.
- These marinated carrots can be served either warm or cold as you please.
Try these delicious and easy Moroccan recipes and enrich yourself with exotic taste.